Can string lights get tacky? This is a question that has been debated by homeowners and decorators for years. Some people love the look of string lights, while others think they are too cheesy and over-the-top. If you are undecided about whether or not to use string lights in your home, read on for some tips on how to do it tastefully!
- Are string lights tacky or trendy?
- Always plan how you are going to decorate with String Lights.
- Choose the right location for them.
- Hide the cords.
- Using different colors of string lights for different occasions.
- Consider the Size of Your Space
- Use Different Types of Lights for Variety
- Pros and cons of using string lights
- Here are some useful tips for string lights for different occasions
Are string lights tacky or trendy?
To simply put forward String lights or Fair light as they are commonly called can become tacky if not organized properly. It is due to the look and feels which some times hard to manage if not done properly.
But that is not the end if you take care of a few things and install them properly then you will get that warm, cozy look and feel which is very hard to achieve from other lighting types.
Check Out – 12 Best Outdoor String Lights for Your Backyard
There are a few things you can do to make sure your string lights look elegant and not cheesy. Please read ahead –
Always plan how you are going to decorate with String Lights.
This means mapping out where you are going to put them, how many you are going to need, and what kind of effect you are trying to achieve.
If you are just randomly placing string lights around your home, they are going to look tacky. But if you take the time to plan out a cohesive design, they can look really elegant.
Choose the right location for them.
Some rooms in your home are just not going to work well with string lights. For example, if you have a room that is already very bright and colorful, adding string lights is just going to make it look cluttered and busy. But if you have a room that is fairly dark or has neutral-toned walls, string lights can really brighten it up.
Hide the cords.
Cords are not very attractive, so try to hide them as much as possible. Cords are the number one culprit when it comes to making string lights look tacky.
If you can’t hide them, they will stick out like a sore thumb and ruin your whole effect. Try draping fabric or garland over them, or tucking them behind furniture.
If you are using battery-operated string lights, you don’t have to worry about hiding the cords at all!
Using different colors of string lights for different occasions.
If you are using white string lights, it can be a little bit boring. Try using different colors to create a more interesting effect.
You can also use different colors to match the season or your mood. For example, red and green string lights are perfect for Christmas!
Also, there are many multi-colored string lights are available in the market. You can also get to select which color you want to turn on at a specific time so you never run out of options.
Consider the Size of Your Space
Another thing to keep in mind when deciding whether or not string lights are tacky is the size of your space. If you are trying to light up a large area, they might be necessary. But if you are working with a small space, they might overpower the room and look too busy.
Use Different Types of Lights for Variety
If you are trying to avoid the tacky look, try using different types of lights. You can mix and match globe lights, LED lights, fairy lights, or all-time classic Vintage Edison type string lights and more to create a unique look. This will also help prevent your space from looking too busy.
Pros and cons of using string lights
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes
- Can be used to create different effects
- Can be hung up in many different ways
- Are relatively inexpensive
- If not installed properly, they can look tacky
- Cords can get tangled
- Can be difficult to hide cords in small spaces
- May not be suitable for large areas
- Some types of string lights are more expensive than others.
Here are some useful tips for string lights for different occasions
- Christmas: Red and green string lights are perfect for Christmas. You can also use white lights with a few red or green bulbs to create a Christmasy feel.
- Halloween: Use orange or black string lights to create a spooky effect.
- Fourth of July: Try using red, blue, and white string lights to create a patriotic feel.
- Wedding: Use white or ivory string lights to create a romantic atmosphere. You can also use fairy lights to decorate the reception venue or around the cake table.
- Kid’s Room: Use string lights to create a whimsical feel in your child’s bedroom. You can hang them from the ceiling or around the bed frame.
- Living Room: Use string lights to create a cozy feel in your living room. You can hang them around the perimeter of the room or over the couch.
- Outdoor Space: Use string lights to light up your patio or deck. You can also use them to decorate trees or bushes in your yard.
Now that you know all about string lights, are they tacky? It really depends on how you use them. If you follow the tips above, you can avoid the tacky look and create a beautiful space.
In conclusion, string lights are not inherently tacky. It is all about how you use them! If you take the time to plan out your design and use different types of lights, you can create a really beautiful and elegant space. So don’t be afraid to experiment with string lights in your home. Who knows, you might just love the way they look!
So, are string lights tacky? We say no! They are versatile decorations that can be used in many different ways. Just use them wisely and you’ll be sure to avoid the tacky look. Thanks for reading!
Have you ever used string lights in your home? What are your thoughts on them? Let us know in the comments!
Joy have been interested in lighting in general since child hood thus done a Diploma in Lighting & Electricals at the age of 15 apart from regular studies. Now I just want to share some useful information about the lights with people.