Looking to add some extra magic to your backyard? Well, look no further than outdoor string lights! A quality set of string lights can turn any outdoor space into a dazzling destination.
In addition to elevating the aesthetic of your backyard & Patio, string lights are versatile, easy to set up, and cost-effective. But finding the right outdoor string lights requires careful consideration. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to the 12 best outdoor string lights on the market today.
We have also put together a Detailed Buying guide and FAQ related to string lights, later in the post so that you can select the most appropriate string light as per your needs and requirement.
- Here is quick List of 15 best outdoor string lights. In case you are in hurry 🙂
- Here are some important points to take care of while choosing a string light for outdoors –
- What is the use of the string light?
- Is the string light for temporary or long-term use?
- What is your budget for the string lights?
- Where will the string lights be installed?
- What is the voltage of your outdoor space?
- Do you want the string light to be dimmable or not?
- What is the length of the string light that you need?
- What is the size of the bulb that you need?
- What type of material do you want the string light to be made out of?
- What color do you want the string light to be?
- What type of décor do you want to create with these lights?
- Size of your backyard or patio?
- How many strands of light do you need for your space?
- What is the warranty on the string light?
- Detailed Reviews with Pros and Cons of Top 12 Outdoor String Lights in 2022
- Best outdoor string lights – Buying Guide
- Different Power Types of Outdoor String Lights –
- Different Bulbs Types of Outdoor String Lights
- Different Shape and Styles of Outdoor String Lights –
- Different bulb sizes of Outdoor String Lights –
- Final Conclusion
Here is quick List of 15 best outdoor string lights. In case you are in hurry 🙂
|Outdoor String Type||Brand||Price|
|1||Best Value String Lights||The Brightown patio string lights|
|2||Best Outdoor LED String Lights||Baxstel Outdoor String Lights|
|3||Best Solar Outdoor String Lights||Vintage Edison Outdoor String Lights|
|4||Best Outdoor Smart Lights||Govee Smart Outdoor String Lights||Check Now|
|5||Halloween Outdoor Solar String Lights||Brightown Crystal Globe Lights||Check Now|
|6||Traditional Fairy Lights Alternative||RaThun Globe String Christmas Lights||Check Now|
|7||Best Colored Outdoor||FLSNT Colored LED String Light Bulbs||Check Now|
|8||Best Battery Operated||WERTIOO Battery String Lights||Check Now|
|9||Smart Colorful LED Smart String Lights||XMCOSY RGB Outdoor Patio Lights||Check Now|
|10||Outdoor Solar powered Fairy Light||YIQU Solar String Lights for Outdoor||Check Now|
|11||Color Changing with Remote Control.||Enbrighten Café String Lights||Check Now|
|12||Super Long Plug-in Festival String lights||Ollny Outdoor Christmas String Lights||Check Now|
So there you have the list of the most promising outdoor String lights of the year 2022 but before making any purchase you should ask some questions that will make purchasing these string lights much easier for you.
Here are some important points to take care of while choosing a string light for outdoors –
What is the use of the string light?
What is the purpose behind installing the string lights? Are you looking for a bright-lit ambiance in your backyard and garden or it is just for decorative purposes only. Or in case you want to achieve both at the same time.
Is the string light for temporary or long-term use?
The next question that you should ask yourself is for how long do you need the string light. If it is just for a special event then temporary usage would be perfect but if you are looking to install them permanently then go for something more durable, long-lasting, and extreme weather conditions safe.
What is your budget for the string lights?
String lights are available in a wide range of prices so make sure to set your budget before you go out shopping for them. It is important to remember that just because a string light is more expensive doesn’t mean it’s better.
Where will the string lights be installed?
This question is important as it determines the size and type of string light that you should buy. For example, if you are looking to install them in a tree then you will need something with a longer cord and more durable bulbs.
You might need cup hooks and other string light-related hanging accessories.
What is the voltage of your outdoor space?
String lights come in different voltages so make sure to check what voltage your outdoor area supports before making any purchase. Most string lights will work with 110-120 volts while some might require up to 240 volts.
In case you don’t have any electrical outlet available in your patio/garden then go for solar lights or battery-operated lights. Here is a another useful post on Patio String Lights
Do you want the string light to be dimmable or not?
Some string lights come with a dimmer switch which allows you to control the brightness of the light. If you want this feature then make sure to look for a dimming function while making your purchase.
What is the length of the string light that you need?
The length of the string light is important to consider as it will determine how much of your outdoor space it can cover. Most string lights are available in lengths of 25, 50, or 100 feet but you can also find them in longer lengths.
Also, look for if the light is extendable or not. Some patio lights support connection up to three strands of lights together. Do check this post for details to know how many string lights you need.
What is the size of the bulb that you need?
String lights are available with different sized bulbs so make sure to choose the one that is most appropriate for your needs. The most common bulb size is G30 but there are also larger and smaller sizes available.
What type of material do you want the string light to be made out of?
String lights are available in a variety of materials including metal, plastic, and glass. Choose the one that will match the style of your backyard.
Most important is you want to go for all-weather resistance light so that you have a year-round use.
What color do you want the string light to be?
There are many different colored string lights available, including white, black, and green. Choose a color that complements the look of your garden.
Some might also have a color-changing function. Just in case you are looking for extra features or colors.
What type of décor do you want to create with these lights?
Static lights may be utilized to create a variety of different décor themes, including rustic, modern, and antique. Choose the one that complements your backyard’s style.
In case you have trees in your background then go for mixed Edison style bulbs and fairy string lights.
Size of your backyard or patio?
The size of your outdoor space will determine how many string lights you need to purchase. If you have a large area, you may need to buy multiple sets of lights.
How many strands of light do you need for your space?
This will depend on the size of your outdoor space and the effect that you are trying to achieve. Most people will need between two and four strands of light.
What is the warranty on the string light?
Some string lights come with a warranty while others do not. If the string light that you are interested in does not have a warranty then it is important to ask the retailer if they offer any type of return policy.
Once you have answered these questions, it will be much easier for you to find the right outdoor string light for your needs.
Now that you know all about outdoor string lights, here are 12 best outdoor string light options on the market today!
Detailed Reviews with Pros and Cons of Top 12 Outdoor String Lights in 2022
1. The Brightown patio string lights – Best Value Lights
The Brightown patio lights are constructed of durable, weatherproof material and waterproofing technology, allowing them to be used for a variety of purposes.
These multicolor G40 decoration lights create a warm and romantic atmosphere that will make you and your friend feel relaxed and happy. Great for wedding, birthday party, Christmas, holiday celebration, party, family reunion decor.
This outdoor light string is easy to put together using a cable tie or a cup hook, and it may be fastened or positioned as desired.
These string lights are dimmable so you can use them with dimmer. These G40 backyard lights come with 25 glass bulbs and 2 spare bulbs.
Round 1.5 inch light bulbs have E12 or C7 candelabra socket base, 5W per bulb, warm white dimmable string light helps you to save more electricity bills.
- UL certified deck lights are built with weatherproof technology
- A light bulb that goes out does not affect another lighting bulb
- Good Brightness: 23 Lumens each bulb
- Color Temperature: 2700K Warm White.
- Can connect up to 3 strands
- Bistro Lights with a built-in spare fuse
- Incandescent Bulb Type
- Glass bulbs can shatter. ( No Shatter proofing )
2. Baxstel Outdoor String Lights – Best Outdoor LED String Lights
Baxstel 48ft outdoor string lights for patio is crafted with heavy-duty weathertight technology + SHATTERPROOF PLASTIC 16 hanging LED bulbs.
These lights are weatherproof, and the rubberized, flexible cable is thicker than a normal rope. These string lights are the best choice for outdoor patio
Baxstel string lights have a longer lifespan than incandescent string lights. 30W in total per string light and they never get hot even after being on for an hour. You can save 90% electricity bills compared with incandescent bulb string lights.
Suitable with dimmer for greater mood lighting flexibility and soft glow. Warm colors are inviting, giving a warm atmosphere that is both cozy and relaxing.
- LED & Shatterproof Edison Vintage Bulbs
- Can connect up to 40 strands.
- A built-in hanging loop is easier for you to set up.
- IP65 Waterproofing.
- Universal E26 Base with S 14 Led bulbs
- Single Color Only
3. Baxtel 50FT Vintage Edison Outdoor String Lights – Best Solar Outdoor String Lights.
The first solar string light with built-in tempered glass for the solar panel to maximize charging in low-light.
The 5W Monocrystalline is a type of monocrystalline solar panel that has excellent conversion efficiency and has been exceeding expectations.
Built-in 4400mAh lithium battery, charge 6 hours on sunny days and use 10-12 hours for all-night lighting. It has 4 lighting effects, such as steady on, flash slowly, flash rapidly, intermittent flashes.
For a patio, you can never have enough lighting. These 60-foot long strand lights made of heavy-duty weathertight technology provide plenty of illumination
Baxstel solar string lights are built to endure whatever the weather throws at them, whether it’s rain, sun, or snow.
- Light sensor, which controls the light automatically. It turns on at night and off at dawn.
- Perfect shatterproof Led Bulbs.
- IP65 Waterproof.
- Shatterproof Led Bulbs.
- 18 Months Warranty.
- The single Color option only.
4. Govee Smart Outdoor String Lights – Best Outdoor Smart Lights
This is smart is a fantastic outdoor light that comes from a reputed manufacturer of smart light – Govee, Govee is committed to providing high-quality lighting at affordable prices.
This is the best string light for people who would like to have total control over their surroundings.
Its Smart App Control makes it convenient to manage your 96ft outdoor string lights within a 230ft Bluetooth connection range, without any light switch. Enjoy 6 scene modes, enliven your backyard dinners easily via the Govee Home app
These are very Energy Efficient and Long Lasting Smart Outdoor String Lights. These patio Hanging lights for outside with only 0.8W consumption per bulb With a 20,000-hour lifespan. These durable lights save lots of energy and money.
- UL certified deck lights are built with Enjoy year-round weather protection with IP65 waterproofing.
- Fully dimmable from 1% to 100%.
- Shatterproof Led Plastic Bulbs.
- Working Temperature: -20° to 50°C (-4° to 122°F)
- Lumen: 100lm/bulb.
- Bit Expensive than its competitors
5. Brightown Crystal Globe Lights – Halloween Outdoor Solar String Lights
In case you are looking to get your backyard a different touch and don’t want to use regular warm or warm white string lights then it can be a great choice.
These Outdoor String Lights have Crystal Globe Bulb which makes them a great option for people who are looking for more than just regular string lights.
The globe shape also makes them great Halloween Outdoor Solar String Lights.
Also, they are solar power so you don’t have to worry about the electricity bill and wiring. These Energy-saving led lights have 35.6 feet long string with 60 super bright led bulbs.
The factory equipped sophisticated and 120-degree adjustable monocrystalline silicon solar panel plus the inbuilt 800mAh rechargeable battery.
- Soft Blue Lights
- Shatterproof Led Bulbs
- IP 65 waterproof
- Auto-on & off.
- Multifunctional 8 lighting modes
- The solar panel is very sensitive to any light source so read manufacture instructions carefully.
Related Post – BEST STRING LIGHTS FOR BEDROOM
6. RaThun Globe String Christmas Lights – Traditional Fairy Lights Alternative
100 LED 49ft(33ft String Lights,16ft Lead Wire) Warm White Globe String Lights with Bulbs
Different modes are suitable for different occasions. The fairy string lights function button has 8 lighting effects. combination, in waves, sequential, slogs, chasing/flash, slow fade, twinkle/flash, and steady on.
The translucent plastic globe maintains the lights at a low temperature, ensuring that they are safe to touch after many hours of use and are more non-friable.
Low voltage output, IP44 Waterproof for globe string lights. Available for all kinds of outdoor and indoor activities, safe and reliable.
Simply connect the power adapter and plug in and unplug it for power on and off, simple and easy to set up.
- UL Listed
- 8 Dimmable Modes
- Do not get overheat.
- Safe and Convenient:
- IP44 Waterproof
- Low Voltage Transformer
- Incandescent Bulb Type
- It can get tangles easily due to the small size of the bulb.
- Not enough illumination as compared to other Edison bulb string lights.
7. FLSNT Colored LED String Light Bulbs – Best Colored Outdoor String Lights
Next in our list is fun-packed, having different colors led bulb outdoor string lights which are best for any parties, gatherings, or any fun evening which you want to host in your backyard.
Clear plastic S14 LED string light bulb with colored filaments: reddish-orange filament(red light), clear filament(blue light), lemon filament(green light), orange filament(warm light), glowing off as same as glass light bulbs
2200K warm white S14 LED with 100 Lumens to fit for 48ft patio string light or applications where the bulb is in open view. An ideal replacement for your E26 socket lighting fixtures bulbs.
Widely Applicable: Ideal for lawn weddings, outdoor patios, bars, bistros, restaurants, front porches, gazebos, pergolas, and other ornamental settings.
- Consume only 1watt Per bulb.
- Shatterproof & Waterproof
- String Light Replacement Bulbs
- No Buzzing & No Flicker
- High Transparency
- Lasting up to 25000 Hours
- Not Extendable
8. WERTIOO Battery Operated String Lights – Best Battery Operated Outdoor String Lights
In case you are looking for the great option of outdoor string lights which just don’t need any power source or any solar installation.
Then WERTiOO battery-operated string lights are one the best choice which you can have. You can use these globe string lights indoor or outdoor without any hassle.
The big benefit of these lights is that they are very portable and you can take them with you wherever you go. They have a 33feet long string with 100 super bright LED bulbs.
The Best thing about these lights is that they are very cheap as compared to other string lights in the market.
- Very Portable
- 8 Modes light sequences and Auto timer
- Colorful Globe Fairy Lights with Remote Control
- Batteries not included
- Not as bright as solar or electric string lights
9. XMCOSY RGB Outdoor Patio Lights – Best Smart Colorful LED Smart String Lights
These 98 feet long string lights are great for creating a chic atmosphere in your backyard or patio. The XMCOSY RGB Outdoor Patio Lights are ETL listed and made of commercial-grade materials, making them durable and long-lasting.
With 110V-250V AC input and 12V DC output, these string lights are also very easy to install. Which is far below the 36V safety voltage of the human body. Therefore there are also more energy-saving and power saving
30 LED bulbs are controlled by a Wi-Fi-enabled app, making them very easy to use. Best of all, these string lights are compatible with Alexa, making them a great choice for anyone looking for smart LED string lights.
Thanks to their IP65 waterproof rating, these string lights can be used both indoors and outdoors. So if you’re looking for a great way to add some atmosphere to your next party or gathering, the XMCOSY RGB Outdoor Patio Lights are a great option.
- 2 built-in color wheels (rgb&white)
- 9 built-in scenes
- Comes with Guide Wire
- Smart LED string lights that are compatible with Alexa
- App can be difficult to use at times to non-tech-savvy people.
10. YIQU Solar String Lights for Outdoor Outdoor Solar powered Fairy Light
This solar-powered Outdoor fairy light has an extra-long 72ft string with 200 LED, is waterproof, and is suitable for many occasions.
With an upgraded battery (1200MAH to 1800MAH) and solar panel, it’s a great choice whether you’re looking to decorate your home or outdoor space for a special event or just want some pretty lights to relax by at the end of the day.
There are eight lighting modes to choose from, and it will automatically turn off after six hours to save power.
It can be used for weddings, parties, holidays, or everyday decor. It’s easy to set up and use, just charge it in the sun for a few hours and you’re good to go!
These lights would make a great addition to any outdoor space this holiday season.
- An extra-long string of lights
- Comes with eight different lighting modes
- Automatically turns off after six hours to save power
- None noted so far!
11. Enbrighten Café String Lights – Color Changing Outdoor String Lights with Remote Control.
If you’re looking for the perfect way to light up your backyard, then look no further than Enbrighten’s Vintage Seasons LED Warm White & Color Changing Café String Lights.
With 16 colors to choose from and with 48ft, 24 Premium Impact Resistant Lifetime Bulbs, you’re sure to find the perfect ambiance for any occasion.
You can decorate any outdoor space, including backyards, porches, balconies, decks, patios, pergolas, gazebos, cafes, bars, restaurants, and more
These lights are also impacted resistant and UL listed for permanent installation, so you can be confident they’ll withstand year-round exposure to the elements.
Best of all, they come with a lifetime Bulbs warranty, so you can enjoy them for years to come. Thanks, Enbrighten!
- Multiple sets are linkable up to 750 feet.
- Stylish impact-resistant acrylic edition style bulbs.
- Wireless remote.
- Dimmable & Timeout Settings.
- The only downside to these lights is that they can be a bit pricey, but the high-quality construction and features make them well worth the investment.
12. Ollny Outdoor Christmas String Lights Super Long Plug-in Festival String lights
If you’re looking for the best outdoor fairy string lights on the market, look no further than Ollny’s Christmas string lights.
With 800 LED bulbs and a length of 330ft, these lights are sure to light up your entire backyard in style.
They also come with a remote control and timer function, as well as being IP44 waterproof. So whether you’re looking to decorate your house for Christmas or just want some pretty lights in your backyard, Ollny’s Outdoor Christmas String Lights are a perfect choice!
- Super Long Christmas Lights
- Twinkle Lighting
- 8 LIGHT MODES & 4 BRIGHTNESS LEVELS
- UL Listed 29V low voltage power plug
- It may get tangled due to its size.
- Need to handle with care due to its build quality.
Best outdoor string lights – Buying Guide
Different Power Types of Outdoor String Lights –
1. Traditional Powered Outdoor String Lights
These are the pretty common ones where you just need to plug them in a power source available in your backyard. They come with a long cord (25, 50 or 100 feet) and can be used to decorate trees, patio areas or fences.
2. Solar Powered Outdoor String Lights
If you’re looking for something eco-friendly, then solar-powered outdoor string lights are a great option. They work by converting energy from the sun into electrical current which is used to power the light.
This means that there’s no need to worry about adding any extra expenses to your electricity bill, and you don’t even have to worry about finding an outlet!
All you need is a spot in your yard that sees a lot of sunlight during the day, and the included solar panel will do all the work for you. Most solar-powered string lights have a runtime of around six to eight hours, which is plenty of time for a backyard barbecue or dinner party.
3. Battery Operated Outdoor String Lights
These are a great option if you don’t have an outlet available in your backyard. Battery-operated outdoor string lights come with a battery pack that you can use to power the light.
The great thing about this is that you can put the battery pack anywhere, so you’re not limited by where your outlets are. Another benefit is that you don’t have to worry about running an extension cord, which can be a tripping hazard.
The downside of battery-operated outdoor string lights is that they can be a bit more expensive than solar-powered or outlet-powered string lights. However, the convenience of being able to put them anywhere may be worth the extra cost for some people.
Different Bulbs Types of Outdoor String Lights
There are two main types of outdoor string lights – incandescent and LED. Each has its benefits that you should take into account when making your purchase
1. Outdoor LED String Lights –
If you are looking for energy-efficient outdoor string lights, then LED string lights are the way to go.
These bulbs use less electricity than incandescent bulbs and they last a lot longer too.
LED bulbs are more expensive than incandescent bulbs, but they will save you money in the long run.
2. Outdoor Incandescent String Lights
Incandescent string lights are the most popular type of outdoor string lights. They are very affordable and they give off a warm, inviting light.
The downside to incandescent bulbs is that they use more electricity than LED bulbs and they don’t last as long.
Incandescent bulbs are cheaper but they use more electricity and produce less light than LED bulbs.
Different Shape and Styles of Outdoor String Lights –
Different types of styles and shapes of various string lights are available in the market. We have discussed them in the details below so that you can choose which ones you like.
- Globe Bulbs – These are the most common type of outdoor string lights. They are easy to find and come in a variety of colors.
- Edison Bulbs – These bulbs have a more vintage look to them. They are becoming increasingly popular for weddings and other events.
- Lantern Bulbs – These bulbs give off a softer light and are perfect for intimate gatherings.
- Fairy Lights – These lights are perfect for adding a touch of magic to any event. They come in a variety of colors and styles.
Different bulb sizes of Outdoor String Lights –
In addition to different shapes and styles, outdoor string lights also come in a variety of bulb sizes. This is important to consider when choosing lights because the bulb size will affect the overall light output.
1. Mini Bulbs: These bulbs are typically between two and four inches wide. They give off a softer light and are perfect for smaller areas. Having G30 Base.
2. Standard Bulbs: These bulbs are between five and six inches wide. They provide more light than mini bulbs and are perfect for larger areas.
3. Medium Bulbs: These bulbs are typically between four and six inches wide. They give off a brighter light and are perfect for larger areas. Having G40 Base.
4. Maxi Bulbs: These bulbs are typically six inches or wider. They give off the brightest light and are perfect for large areas. Having G50 Base.
Is it important for the string light to be waterproof?
If you live in an area with a lot of rainfall then it is important to look for waterproof string lights.
Is the string light are weatherproof?
Yes most of the string light works In extreme weather conditions. It is important to look out for weatherproof construction Lights. Make sure to check if the string light is weatherproof before making any purchase.
How long will the string light last?
Most string lights have a lifespan of around 3000 hours. However, this will depend on the quality of the light and type of bulb ( led or incandescent light bulbs ) and how often it is used.
What type of bulb does the string light use?
The most common type of bulb used in outdoor string lights is an LED. This is because they are more durable than other types of bulbs. Some String light use incandescent bulbs as well.
In conclusion, there are several great outdoor string light options available on the market. There are a variety of shapes, styles, and sizes of outdoor string lights are there.
It is important to consider what type of event you are using the lights for and what overall look you are going for. If you live in an area with a lot of rainfall, it is important to find waterproof Lights.
Outdoor string lights are a great way to light up your backyard or patio while providing security and safety. Additionally, they are weatherproof and waterproof, so you can use them in any condition.
Finally, outdoor string lights have a long lifespan and are very affordable. So, what are you waiting for? Get yourself some outdoor string lights today!
Joy have been interested in lighting in general since child hood thus done a Diploma in Lighting & Electricals at the age of 15 apart from regular studies. Now I just want to share some useful information about the lights with people.