There are many reasons Why Are Outdoor Lights Low Voltage?? One of the main advantages is that it’s safe. Because the voltage running through the wires is low, there is a much lower risk of electrical shock. Low voltage also uses less energy than traditional outdoor lighting systems, so it can save you money in the long run. In this blog post, we will discuss the key components of a low-voltage landscape lighting system and how to install it yourself!
Why Are Outdoor Lights Low Voltage??
Difference between Low-Voltage (12V) Vs Line-Voltage (120V)
The main difference between low-voltage and line-voltage landscape lighting is the voltage of the electricity running through the wires. Low-voltage landscape lighting uses 12 volts, while line-voltage landscape lighting uses 120 volts. Because of this difference, low-voltage landscape lighting is much safer to use and can be installed by homeowners without any special training or equipment.
Related Article – Best Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Kits in 2022
The Key Components of a Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting Setup
There are three key components of a low-voltage landscape lighting system:
The transformer converts line-voltage (120V) electricity into low-voltage (12V) electricity. This is an important step because it makes the system much safer to use.
2. The Light Fixtures
The lights are the fixtures that you install around your property. They come in a variety of styles and can be used to highlight different features of your landscape.
3. The wiring or cabling
The wiring is used to connect the transformer to the lights. It is important to use quality wiring and connectors to ensure a safe and reliable system.
The cable carries the electricity from the transformer to the lights. It is important to use a quality cable designed for outdoor use, as the regular electrical wire is not waterproof and could cause a fire.
How to Install Low Voltage Landscape Lighting?
Installing low voltage landscape lighting is a relatively easy process that can be completed in just a few hours.
1. Prepare the Layout Plan for installing low voltage landscape lighting
The first step is to identify the areas of your property that you want to illuminate. Once you have chosen the locations, mark the spots where you will be installing the lights.
2. Install the Transformer
The next step is to install the transformer. The transformer should be located close to an outdoor outlet and should be mounted on a weather-proof enclosure.
Once the transformer is in place, run the wiring from it to each of the light fixtures. Be sure to use quality wiring and connectors to ensure a safe and reliable system.
3. Install the Landscaping Lights
Finally, install the light fixtures in the marked locations. Once they are in place, you can turn on the system and enjoy your new landscape lighting!
Advantages of Low Voltage Landscape Lighting
- Safe: Because the voltage running through the wires is low, there is a much lower risk of electrical shock. It will create safe lighting environment for kids and pets.
- Energy Efficient: Low voltage uses less energy than traditional outdoor lighting systems, so it can save you money in the long run.
- Easy to Install: You can install a low voltage landscape lighting system yourself in just a few hours. No requirement of electrician is needed
- Flexible: There are a variety of light fixtures available to choose from, so you can create the perfect look for your landscape.
- Weather & Rainproof – It is designed to work in wet locations without causing harm to the system.
- Versatile: Low voltage landscape lighting can be used to illuminate a variety of features in your landscape, such as trees, shrubs, gardens, walkways, and more.
- Improved Aesthetics: Properly installed landscape lighting can illuminate your property and create a more beautiful exterior. It can also add security by highlighting entrances and pathways.
If you’re looking for a safe, energy efficient, and easy to install outdoor lighting system, then low voltage landscape lighting is the perfect option for you! Thanks for reading and be sure to check back soon for more tips and tricks on landscape lighting.
Have a great day !!!
Joy have been interested in lighting in general since child hood thus done a Diploma in Lighting & Electricals at the age of 15 apart from regular studies. Now I just want to share some useful information about the lights with people.