When it comes to Christmas lights or creating that magic cozy feeling in your backyard, most people think of traditional string lights. Though they’re pretty if you’re using a lot of them, you might be worried about how much electricity they’re using. So, do string lights use a lot of electricity?
So do String Lights use a lot of electricity?
The answer is: it depends. If you’re using traditional incandescent string lights, they will use more electricity than LED string lights. However, even LED string lights can use a fair amount of electricity if you’re using a lot of them.
How much electricity your string lights are using?
The first step is to check how many watts your string lights use. This information should be on the packaging or on the light strand itself. Once you have that number, you can use it to figure out how much electricity your lights are using.
Let’s Calculate the cost
To get a better sense of how much electricity your string lights are using, here is an example case – Most standard incandescent string lights use about 4 watts per bulb. So, if you have a string of 100 lights, that’s 400 watts total. If you have them on for 6 hours a day, that’s 2,400 watt-hours, or 2.4 kilowatt-hour (kWh), of electricity per day.
At around 10-12 cents per kWh, that comes out to about 20.4-29 cents per day, or $8.70 per month, to keep those lights running.
In comparison, most LED string lights use about 0.5-1 watts per bulb. So, if you have a string of 100 lights, that’s 50-100 watts total. If you have them on for 6 hours a day, that’s 300-600 watt-hours, or 0.3-0.6 kilowatt-hours (kWh), of electricity per day.
At 12 cents per kWh, that comes out to about 3-6 cents per day, or $0.90-1.80 per month, to keep those lights running.
As you can see, there is a big difference in how much electricity traditional incandescent string lights use and LED string lights uses. So, if you’re looking to save on your electricity bill, LED string lights are the way to go.
Related Article – 12 Best Outdoor String Lights for Your Backyard
Types of energy-efficient Sring lights
If you’re looking for a more efficient way to light up your home during the Chirstmas season, you might want to consider using energy-efficient Christmas lighting. These lights use less electricity than traditional string lights and come in a variety of different shapes and sizes.
There are several different types of energy-efficient string lights available, including:
LED string lights:
As we mentioned above, LED ( light-emitting diodes )string lights are a more energy-efficient option than traditional incandescent string lights. They use less electricity and last longer, so you’ll save money in the long run.
Solar-powered lights are a great option if you’re looking for an environmentally-friendly way to decorate your home. These lights use solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, which is then used to power the lights. Also, they need enough sunlight, so you might want to avoid using them if you live in a shady area.
Battery-operated string lights are a convenient option because you don’t have to worry about plugging them in. They run on batteries, which means you can use them anywhere, even if there’s no outlet available.
Each type of light has its unique benefits and drawbacks. So, it’s important to compare the different options before making a final decision.
Types of bulbs for energy-efficient decorative lights
When it comes to energy-efficient decorative lights, there are two main types of bulbs available: LED bulbs and CFL bulbs.
LED bulbs are the most popular type of energy-efficient bulb because they use less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs and last much longer. They’re also more durable and can withstand being turned on and off more frequently. They will surely run down your electricity bill.
CFL bulbs are another type of energy-efficient bulb that uses less electricity than traditional incandescent bulbs. However, they don’t last as long as LED bulbs and can be more fragile.
Incandescent bulbs are the traditional type of light bulb that has been used for many years. They’re not as energy-efficient as LED or CFL bulbs, but they’re widely available and relatively inexpensive.
Do fairy lights use a lot of electricity?
Fairy lights do not use as electricity when compared to string lights. It is because fairy light normally has very low voltage led bulbs. Many times they are battery operated so there is no need of electricity.
if you have a lot of fairy lights, the voltage can add up. So if you are wanting to use fairy lights for decoration, use caution when buying them and make sure you understand how many you need to create the desired look.
Remember, if you are using fairy lights outdoors use them in a dry area.
You can also use solar fairy lights, which are powered by the sun.
How to choose the right energy-efficient string lights
Now that you know more about the different types of energy-efficient decorative lights available, you might be wondering how to choose the right ones for your home. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Consider your needs: First, think about what you need from your energy-efficient lights. Do you want them to last a long time? Be easy to set up? Be safe to use? Be environmentally-friendly? Once you know what you need, you can narrow down your options.
2. What are your Power Options: Another thing to consider is how you want to power your lights. Traditionally you have electric lights which can be powered by any electric socket in your house but you may want to consider solar-powered or battery-operated lights if you want to be more environmentally friendly.
Also, they are helpful in case you don’t have any electrical outlet nearby or if you want to avoid running cords across your floor which can be a trip hazard. Choose the option that works best for you.
3. Size: Another thing to consider is the size of the lights. Do you want small, delicate lights or large, bold lights? It’s important to think about the overall look you want to achieve before making your final decision.
4. Durability: Another factor to consider is durability. Some string lights are more durable than others. If you have kids or pets, you might want to choose a more durable option like a shatterproof bulb which gives a safer side as compared to traditional glass bulbs.
5. Compare prices: Energy-efficient lights can range in price from $10 to $100 or more. So, it’s important to compare prices before you make a purchase.
6. Follow safety guidelines: When using any type of energy-efficient light, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s safety guidelines. This will help ensure that you don’t experience any problems and that the lights are safe to use.
How long should String lights be on?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it will vary depending on the wattage of your lights and how long you leave them on each day. However, as a general rule, it’s best to keep your lights on for no more than Six-Eight hours at a time. This will help conserve energy and extend the life of your bulbs.
It is better to go with a string light that has a timer function that way you can set the lights as per your needs and enjoy the beautiful evenings without worrying about switching them off every night.
How to take care of your string lights
Just like any other type of light bulb, string lights need to be taken care of to extend their life. Here are a few tips:
1. Keep them away from water: String lights should not be exposed to water as it can cause damage and shorten their life. So, avoid using them near pools, spas, or in any other environment where they may be exposed to moisture.
2. Don’t overuse them: Another way to extend the life of your lights is to not use them all the time. Try not to leave them on for long periods as this can quickly wear down the bulbs.
3. Use a timer: If you’re not going to be using your lights for an extended period, it’s a good idea to use a timer so that they turn off automatically. This will help conserve energy and extend the life of your bulbs.
4. Clean them regularly: Dust and dirt can also shorten the life of your lights. So, it’s a good idea to clean them regularly with a damp cloth.
5. Try to install them in a safe location: Finally, be sure to install your lights in a safe location where they won’t be a safety hazard. Like in case you are putting them outdoors then be sure that they are weather-resistant and can be used in harsh weather conditions.
Do String lights use less electricity than light bulbs?
Yes, string lights use significantly less electricity than light bulbs. This is because they typically have a lower wattage and can be used for long periods without damaging the bulbs.
When it comes to energy efficiency, LED string lights are the clear winner. They use less electricity than traditional string lights and last much longer. Solar-powered lights are also a good option if you’re looking for an environmentally-friendly way to light up your home. And, if you’re looking for a more temporary solution, battery-operated lights might be the way to go.
Now that you know more about energy-efficient decorative lights, be sure to check out our post of the best options for outdoor string lights available in 2023. We have done an in-depth post, so you’re sure to find the perfect set for your home.
No matter what type of light you choose, energy-efficient decorative lights are a great way to save money and reduce your carbon footprint. So, if you’re looking for a more sustainable way to celebrate the holidays, be sure to consider using energy-efficient decorative lights.
Joy have been interested in lighting in general since child hood thus done a Diploma in Lighting & Electricals at the age of 15 apart from regular studies. Now I just want to share some useful information about the lights with people.